We support the TRL vision to align practice with the Science of Reading is as follows:
1. Invest in knowledge-building for all educators, first and foremost.
2. Anchor reading instruction in the scientific evidence base.
3. Abandon practices that lack evidence of effectiveness for all learners.
The Science of Reading aims to build a community of diverse stakeholders to empower educators to better support learners.
- To educators: Embrace opportunities to learn about the Science of Reading, reflect upon their practice, and challenge approaches to reading instruction that are not aligned with the research evidence.
- School Administrators & School Boards: Prioritize professional development on the Science of Reading, for themselves and for educators, and to adopt evidence-aligned assessment and instructional practices.
- Schools of Education: Align coursework with the Science of Reading and foster interdisciplinary collaboration between professors of education and cognitive psychology, neuroscience, speech and language studies, and linguistics.
- Publishers & Professional Learning Providers: Cease promoting products that are not aligned with the Science of Reading.
- Policymakers: Continue to develop policy solutions that prioritize the acquisition and application of the Science of Reading in schools, and ensure that they are supported by realistic timelines and resources.
- Parents: Last but not least, parents and students: please continue to advocate for the value of evidence-aligned reading instruction for all children!